Ver 2.0.70

Share your ideas of the new features you would like to see

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

Paradigm, thank for the report. All your requests are very sensible and we were thinking along the same way. But first we need to get the basics working well. My goal is to make the pages fully customizable, but again -- I need to make them work 100% properly first.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:something is odd happened tonight. "Dua Lipa - New Rules" did not show up in the artist or title browse no matter how i typed it, but it did show in the global search screen. now that i'm home, i can not duplicate it, but something i thought you should know happened anyway in case someone else has this issue.
Paradigm, this is what I brought up when first testing the remote queue. When using the "Browse" feature whether it's browsing by artists or for songs you must type the artist or title exactly like it is in your database. If your database is like mine I use the "detect comma" feature where I have an artist like Gladys Knight and the Pips in my database as Knight and the Pips, Gladys so to get any of her songs you would have to type it as Knight and the Pips, Gladys when using the browse by artist feature. However, if you use the search for songs feature you can type it as Gladys Knight and the Pips or any version of her name and it will list all of her songs. This is the reason I suggested to maybe delete the "Browse" feature and just use the "Search for song" feature. This will allow the singer to search by artist or song by typing any part of the name or title and would also help Piotr in his coding.

Maybe only having the "search for song" feature as the first page when a singer starts the remote queue. Piotr might also be able to add a function where the KJ can use their jpg logo as the background of the first page.
hawke68

Post by hawke68 »

that is why I had suggested the option of checkboxes in the settings for the remote and we can choose whichever buttons work best for our needs. (i.e search by artist, search by title, the browse buttons, recently added songs) figuring if each button was working properly we could control which ones we like or would work best for us. with a match all search option on the search buttons which brings up anything that matches in any order (like we get when we search using the add singer dialog)
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

that's exactly what it acted like, however when i got home, i was not able to repeat the problem. the search now works no matter the name order.
still strange though.
i am always for check boxes on everything, custom custom custom.
adding our logo was the reason i posted the image mock-up of a homescreen option. i agree with Piotr's reasoning though, get the bones nice and strong before adding the pretty skin.

another thought Piotr....
since it has the ability to collapse duplicate songs, could it do the same for artists?
what i mean is, only show "Cash, Johnny" once, in the BROWSE pages so they can just see the artists listed and if they want to see the songs by said artist, they just click on the name and it shows them. leave the "search" page the same as it is, but allow the browse to go like this.

as an example, i have 560 Elvis songs.
as a singer, i have no interest in singing any Elvis, so to browse past, i have to keep scrolling past all the "Presley, Elvis" songs until i see "Pretenders, The" which i could be interested in. if the artists were collapsed, i would only see "Presley, Elvis" for one line then "Pretenders, The" three lines down (below Lisa Marie Presley and Billy Preston).

it would be the first truely browsable request kiosk system
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: another thought Piotr....
since it has the ability to collapse duplicate songs, could it do the same for artists?
what i mean is, only show "Cash, Johnny" once, in the BROWSE pages so they can just see the artists listed and if they want to see the songs by said artist, they just click on the name and it shows them. leave the "search" page the same as it is, but allow the browse to go like this.

as an example, i have 560 Elvis songs.
as a singer, i have no interest in singing any Elvis, so to browse past, i have to keep scrolling past all the "Presley, Elvis" songs until i see "Pretenders, The" which i could be interested in. if the artists were collapsed, i would only see "Presley, Elvis" for one line then "Pretenders, The" three lines down (below Lisa Marie Presley and Billy Preston).

it would be the first truely browsable request kiosk system
This is a good idea, it should be doable. We will try.
Paradigm Karaoke

Piotr wrote:This is a good idea, it should be doable. We will try.
AWESOME!!! this is one of the many things i love about SKP, you actually listen to your people and don't dismiss something because you didn't think of it first *cough*Bob Latshaw*cough*.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Piotr, on the remote kiosk how do you clear the "Most Popular Song" list? If I wanted to start with a blank list how would I do it? Thanks
Paradigm Karaoke

ok, small yet powerful bug found.
i use swype on my phone so i would have never found this, but "I Can't Make You Love Me" didn't show up for a singer...watching her type it in WITHOUT predictive text had the word "Can't" without the apostrophy "Cant" and that made all the difference.
making it disregard punctuation would be helpful in situationslike this.
the other one i saw was setting it up so it sees "and" and "&" as the same thing. so searching "Brooks & Dunn" will include "Brooks And Dunn".

*edit*
another brought to me, the key change on phone (not using kiosk yet)
the key change 1 up shows as 1 down.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:ok, small yet powerful bug found.
i use swype on my phone so i would have never found this, but "I Can't Make You Love Me" didn't show up for a singer...watching her type it in WITHOUT predictive text had the word "Can't" without the apostrophy "Cant" and that made all the difference.
making it disregard punctuation would be helpful in situationslike this.
the other one i saw was setting it up so it sees "and" and "&" as the same thing. so searching "Brooks & Dunn" will include "Brooks And Dunn".

*edit*
another brought to me, the key change on phone (not using kiosk yet)
the key change 1 up shows as 1 down.
I found that typing Brooks & Dunn will bring up all of the Brooks And Dunn songs "plus" any name that has Brooks.

Paradigm, the kiosk has the same error as your phone. The key change of 1 (tone up) is displayed as 1 (tone down). Actually "1 (tone up)" is +2 when entering it into KP. I suggested that the use of "tone" be deleted and replace it with -2 -1 0 +1 +2 etc. I think the use of "tone" will confuse many singers because they are used to saying XXX song +2. Which according to the remote is XXX song 1 (tone up). If a singer wanted xxx song -3 they will have to request it as xxx song -1.5 (1.5 tones down).

I hope my explanation is not confusing you.
Paradigm Karaoke

yes it does, it disregards the ampersand entirely which i think is a good thing, but if you type "brooks and dunn" you will not get any that are tagged "brooks & dunn"
i tag mine with the ampersand, but a lot of singers type the word "and" instead.
it's more just following how the singers will actually use it as opposed what makes sense to us. what makes sense and seems basically logical from your and my standpoints as hosts, and what seems logical from Piotr's standpoint as a programmer are both different from what seems logical to a singer who may or may not have been imbibing in alcohol.
example, last night. to you and I and even Piotr, the apostrophe in "Can't" makes sense, but to her it did not click. and of all things, she wasn't even drinking yet.
but, this is why we get to test these things out, i would have never thought about that being an issue until it actually happened.

i agree with marking +1, +2, etc as it appears in our system, but also leaving the parenthesees, just replacing "tone" with "step". i have not had anyone ask if my key change is in hole tones, but i have had them ask if it was in half steps or whole steps.
or just to be me......
could what is written in the parentheses be changable in the settings?
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Paradigm, that sounds logical. I guess I have never run into your particular problem because I've never used the ampersand. I always try to stay away from any type of symbols. However, I can't understand your singer not knowing to add the apostrophe to the work cant. Maybe she just doesn't understand what a contraction is and how to write it correctly. I also think your suggestion of using steps instead of tone might make more sense to the singers. Personally, I would just use the -2 -1 0 +1 +2 system to keep things as simple as possible. Your suggestion of allowing the KJ to edit the key change I think is a good idea.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

Guys, it has been a while, but we have been working hard. Here is a new build:

http://www.powerkaraoke.com/download/20 ... -setup.exe

Artist search is completely redone. When artist has more than one song in the database, they are not displayed. You need to select the artist to list them.

And we have added current queue.

Pitch changer has not been modified yet, but it will be in a day or two.

Please let me know what you think.
Paradigm Karaoke

wow, definitely streamlined the search this way.
the current queue is great, i can see an issue though with a singer in rotation not having a song in yet and screwing it up.
simple fix, allow the host to limit the number shown to meet their own needs.
also, in the current queue, it shows the parts of names in parentheses that are hidden on the scrolling message and announcement screens.
also, the automatic return to the home screen seems to no longer be working.

i'm liking the way this is coming along, great job guys!

continuing my never-ending thoughts....
slow nights can be tough, if there are 4 singers, the queue will show those same singers over and over. perhaps limit the current queue to show each singer once. this way instead of a new singer seeing 12 songs in line and not adding a song, they see there are only 4 singers and do add a song.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

Paradigm, we will add some options to tune the queue. I need to check on the empty singers, did not test that.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

When I used a laptop as my remote kiosk the current queue did not display correctly.

Pleas take a look at what it looks like by following this link:

https://ibb.co/gMtpZJ