Missing Functions Requests - Switched from CH & PCDJ

Share your ideas of the new features you would like to see

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

Which feature do you think is the most important?

Smart rotation builder
No votes
Overide next song without changing the rotation
No votes
Skip singer that isn't present
No votes
Override next singer
No votes
Rotation Break Point
No votes
Silence detection - customizable
No votes
Fade to stop option
No votes
Filler music - Volume setting
No votes
Filler music - Track continues playing silenty
No votes
Filler music - Skip ahead when playing new filler track
No votes

Total votes: 0

blade316

Missing Functions Requests - Switched from CH & PCDJ

Post by blade316 »

Hey everyone,

This is my first main post, so be gentle! ;)

I'm a long term host, since the single and multi-bay CD players, then made the switch to all in one units, then moved fully digital around 10 years ago and have been powering ahead since.

I've recently made the switch to Siglos Karaoke Professional, and straight off the bat I will say what a wonderful solid and stable product it is. @Piotr and the team, you should be very proud.

The reason for this post, is I have come from using CompuHost v1,2 and 3 and PCDJ Karaoki for many years, and whilst Siglos has some great extra features these other products done, it is actually missing what I believe to be mission critical features to any seasoned host.
I would love to support the dev team, financially or by way of beta testing etc, to see if these features could be implemented, and I would love to see everyone band together and get some solid support going.

I have listed the features below, and broken them into 4 categories - 'Not available in any software yet', 'Critical', 'Would be handy', and 'Just because Siglos is awesome!'

### Not available in any software yet ###

Smart rotation builder
Computers were meant to make our lives easier, however in karaoke software world, currently all karaoke software I have ever used suffers from the same issue. IT STILL NEEDS A LOT OF WORK FROM THE HOST TO MANAGE THE ROTATION.
One thing I have wanted for a long time (and I even tried making one myself) is a way to have the software build and manage the rotation for you, based on the individual singers/entries into the list. (this does dip its toe into the realm of smartphone apps where singers can manage their own songs etc, however thats for another discussion)
Its easier to give you a scenario to describe what I'm thinking:
Lets say your show starts at 8pm, your regulars arrive at 7:30pm and start putting their songs in. So 8 PM comes around, and if you already have 8 singers in your rotation. So you start going through your first 8 singers, and by the time you get to singer 5, you have another 8 singers that have put their names in.
So now you have a total of 16 singers in your rotation, and you need to work out at which singer you are going to do your rotation. For the purpose of this scenario, let's use sing a number 10 as the rotation point.
So you mark singer number 10 as your first rotation point, when you do that the system automatically builds rotation number two, which takes the first original eight singers and puts them in rotation number two, then takes the additional eight singers and can either add them to the end of rotation two, or if the option is available, can be slotted in between the original eight singers in specified patterns. i.e. slot in every 3rd position.
So now by the time singer number six from rotation one is singing, the system has already built a second rotation for you, and it makes sure at your initial 8 singers are still don't have to wait too long for their second song, but the additional 8 singers will also not have to wait too long either for their first song.
Once there is a subsequent rotation built, all the new entries are put into that rotation not the rotation that is currently running. However, you may want to change for rotation number one, and make it sing a number 12 instead. In this scenario, the system would simply reverse the rotation number two and when you select Singer number 12, it then builds rotation number two again with the updated changes.
Once rotation number one has finished, the system automatically go back to the beginning of rotation number two, and then you simply pick a new rotation point for the current rotation, and it then builds the next one the same as it did the first time.
So effectively, you are building the next rotation in real time simply by setting rotation point on the current rotation.
They can be options like keeping singers in their rotation spot even if they have no songs in their song list, in case they just haven't added any more songs yet. The system will simply skip them if they haven't added any songs by the time their turn comes around.
From a visual perspective, the rotations would simply be displayed as a column for rotation one and a column for rotation two, as to the system, it just sees it as the current rotation and then the following rotation.
However in my mind, I would simply have them as 'Curent Rotation' and 'Next Rotation', it doesn't matter if those happen to be rotation 5 then 6 on the night etc.

### Critical ###

Something handy in Karaoki and CompuHost is the abilty to play a song that is out of order for the rotation, but without modifying the rotation order.
EG. one of you regulars may be leaving early to go home, and they really want to sing their last song and can't wait another 7 songs...
Would be great to be able to highlight their song they want, and play it as the next one without moving them within the rotation.
I know in Siglos you can use the 'Make Singer Next' or 'Make Song Next' star buttons, however I find this more trouble than they are worth, because it moves the singer to a different spot in the rotation.

It would be really nice to have a feature, something simple like a skip button, if a singer is not present. So if you call up singer and they are not there, you can simply click skip and it goes to the next singer in the list whilst keeping the missing singer in their original spot.

Override next singer
This ties into the point above, and it's a feature available in CompuHost, where you can select a singer anywhere in the rotation and choose to play their track. CompuHost, recognises this change and gives your prompt that says "This singer is not next in the rotation, play this song anyway?"
Then at the end of that song, you simply do the same thing again but for the singer who should be next, and then the rotation continues normally.
This is a really good option fora scenario where hey singer was not present when you called name, however they returned soon after, and rather than having to mess around with the order in the rotation, you can simply make them the next singer and then move right along with a rotation, whilst retaining that singers same spot for the next rotation.

Rotation Break Point
In Compuhost there is a really simple but handy feature to set a 'Rotation Point'.
Essentially its just a visual indicator in the rotation list, and you pick a singer to be the 'Rotation Point'.
It highlights that singer in a specific colour, so you know that after that singer, the rotation starts again.
However, since moving to Siglos, I have found that the System will just keep playing the next song over and over until it gets to the end of the rotation list.
So if you just keep adding new singers, you'll never get to the end of the first rotation, because the system currently does not have a function to specify a rotation point.
The only way that I have found that offers some sort of rotation management, is to keep song requests pending, and then when you are saying halfway through the first set of singers, starting those pending requests to the beginning of the rotation.
However, there is a huge problem with this, because if you leave those singers at the beginning of the rotation, the original singers I no longer in the same order from the first rotation.
So when you add the pending singers to the beginning of the rotation, you still have to manually slot them in between the original singers somewhere to keep the rotation fair, for both the original singers and the new singers.

(Available in CompuHost and Karaoki)
One thing that is missing from Siglos compared to CompuHost and Karaoki, is silence detection for the END OF tracks.
I personally never use silence detection at the BEGINNING of tracks, as I like the filler track to fade out and then give the performer a few seconds etc
However coming from using CompuHost and Karaoki for a long time, I'm missing this feature a lot.
Having the ability to set a time threshold (EG. 20 seconds), of when to start listening for lower decibel volume towards the end of the track is really useful.
Most Sunfly tracks have about a 7 second silence for their end credits, and it leads to 'dead air' at the show, which is never good.
The only thing to be mindful of with this is, it has to be smart enough to listen if there is a break in the last part of the song and then it comes back in again for the ending etc.
At the moment, I am manually fading in filler tracks from a separate channel, which just means an extra action on my part that could be done by the system.

### Would be handy ###

Fade to stop option
When clicking the stop button the track fades out, instead of stopping immediately. Basically the same as what it does when using the 'Go to Next' button.
The reason this would be good is, when you use 'Go to Next' it removes that track from the singer, and does exactly what its told, which is 'Go to Next'.
However you may want to remain on the same singer and simply change their song from another one in their song queue.
Yes, you could use the 'Restart' button and achieve the same result of staying on the current singer, then switch their song, however having the stop button do it too would be good.
So essentially, if its playing a filler track, clicking stop fades the music out, then waits. If its playing a karaoke track, click stop fades the karaoke track out, and brings in the filler music.
You could also have a setting that specifies "when a karaoke song is playing, clicking stop button fades karaoke track out, then starts next filler music track", or if it fades the track out then waits.

Would be great to have the ability to set the volume for filler music in between karaoke songs, as normally you don't want the filler track to be as loud as the previous karaoke song.
Yes you can manually turn down the overall volume each time when the filler music starts, then turn it back up when you start the next karaoke track, however a volume setting would mean you dont have to worry about it.
And yes you could also batch process all your filler music tracks with MP3Gain or something, to reduce their volume by 20dB or so, but c'mon, its 2018 and we are not savages here! ;)

It would be really handy to have the option to have each filler track keep going silently once the karaoke songs start.
This means that when the filler music comes back in after the karaoke song, its not starting at the same point form where it left off.
Having it start where it left off, means you only get to hear a handful of filler songs per show.
I find crowds are much more enthusiastic when a different part of the song comes back in, or if its another song completely.
Yes I know you can set it to start a new track each time the filler music starts, however a lot of songs have less than exciting intros haha :)

### Just because Siglos is awesome! ###

This could tie into the above point, but it would be awesome to be able to set a cue point for filler tracks to start on.
Meaning that you could set each new filler track to start at the 15 or 20 second mark, which would skip most intros.
Not the end of the world having the intro, but might be a good feature.

So anyway, thats my initial feedback on Siglos, and I would love to hear all your thoughts and comments and any features you may think of :)

Cheers,

Daniel
Paradigm Karaoke

Re: Missing Functions Requests - Switched from CH & PCDJ

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

blade316 wrote: ### Not available in any software yet ###

Smart rotation builder
Computers were meant to make our lives easier, however in karaoke software world, currently all karaoke software I have ever used suffers from the same issue. IT STILL NEEDS A LOT OF WORK FROM THE HOST TO MANAGE THE ROTATION.
One thing I have wanted for a long time (and I even tried making one myself) is a way to have the software build and manage the rotation for you, based on the individual singers/entries into the list. (this does dip its toe into the realm of smartphone apps where singers can manage their own songs etc, however thats for another discussion)
Its easier to give you a scenario to describe what I'm thinking:
Lets say your show starts at 8pm, your regulars arrive at 7:30pm and start putting their songs in. So 8 PM comes around, and if you already have 8 singers in your rotation. So you start going through your first 8 singers, and by the time you get to singer 5, you have another 8 singers that have put their names in.
So now you have a total of 16 singers in your rotation, and you need to work out at which singer you are going to do your rotation. For the purpose of this scenario, let's use sing a number 10 as the rotation point.
So you mark singer number 10 as your first rotation point, when you do that the system automatically builds rotation number two, which takes the first original eight singers and puts them in rotation number two, then takes the additional eight singers and can either add them to the end of rotation two, or if the option is available, can be slotted in between the original eight singers in specified patterns. i.e. slot in every 3rd position.
So now by the time singer number six from rotation one is singing, the system has already built a second rotation for you, and it makes sure at your initial 8 singers are still don't have to wait too long for their second song, but the additional 8 singers will also not have to wait too long either for their first song.
Once there is a subsequent rotation built, all the new entries are put into that rotation not the rotation that is currently running. However, you may want to change for rotation number one, and make it sing a number 12 instead. In this scenario, the system would simply reverse the rotation number two and when you select Singer number 12, it then builds rotation number two again with the updated changes.
Once rotation number one has finished, the system automatically go back to the beginning of rotation number two, and then you simply pick a new rotation point for the current rotation, and it then builds the next one the same as it did the first time.
So effectively, you are building the next rotation in real time simply by setting rotation point on the current rotation.
They can be options like keeping singers in their rotation spot even if they have no songs in their song list, in case they just haven't added any more songs yet. The system will simply skip them if they haven't added any songs by the time their turn comes around.
From a visual perspective, the rotations would simply be displayed as a column for rotation one and a column for rotation two, as to the system, it just sees it as the current rotation and then the following rotation.
However in my mind, I would simply have them as 'Curent Rotation' and 'Next Rotation', it doesn't matter if those happen to be rotation 5 then 6 on the night etc.
you can set SKP to put new singers x# of songs out, whcih when you get to the bottom of the rotation, will start a new one with those singers where you wanted them. it's at the bottom of the "add singer/song" dialog.

blade316 wrote:### Critical ###

Something handy in Karaoki and CompuHost is the abilty to play a song that is out of order for the rotation, but without modifying the rotation order.
EG. one of you regulars may be leaving early to go home, and they really want to sing their last song and can't wait another 7 songs...
Would be great to be able to highlight their song they want, and play it as the next one without moving them within the rotation.
I know in Siglos you can use the 'Make Singer Next' or 'Make Song Next' star buttons, however I find this more trouble than they are worth, because it moves the singer to a different spot in the rotation.
if they are leaving, you are going to remove them from the rotation anyway, why is it a problem to move them?
blade316 wrote:Skip singer that isn't present
It would be really nice to have a feature, something simple like a skip button, if a singer is not present. So if you call up singer and they are not there, you can simply click skip and it goes to the next singer in the list whilst keeping the missing singer in their original spot.
there is a button to deactivate a singer which does exactly that. on the left of the rotation screen it looks like an hourglass.
blade316 wrote:Override next singer
This ties into the point above, and it's a feature available in CompuHost, where you can select a singer anywhere in the rotation and choose to play their track. CompuHost, recognises this change and gives your prompt that says "This singer is not next in the rotation, play this song anyway?"
Then at the end of that song, you simply do the same thing again but for the singer who should be next, and then the rotation continues normally.
This is a really good option fora scenario where hey singer was not present when you called name, however they returned soon after, and rather than having to mess around with the order in the rotation, you can simply make them the next singer and then move right along with a rotation, whilst retaining that singers same spot for the next rotation.
the "make this singer next" does that.
blade316 wrote:Rotation Break Point
In Compuhost there is a really simple but handy feature to set a 'Rotation Point'.
Essentially its just a visual indicator in the rotation list, and you pick a singer to be the 'Rotation Point'.
It highlights that singer in a specific colour, so you know that after that singer, the rotation starts again.
However, since moving to Siglos, I have found that the System will just keep playing the next song over and over until it gets to the end of the rotation list.
So if you just keep adding new singers, you'll never get to the end of the first rotation, because the system currently does not have a function to specify a rotation point.
The only way that I have found that offers some sort of rotation management, is to keep song requests pending, and then when you are saying halfway through the first set of singers, starting those pending requests to the beginning of the rotation.
However, there is a huge problem with this, because if you leave those singers at the beginning of the rotation, the original singers I no longer in the same order from the first rotation.
So when you add the pending singers to the beginning of the rotation, you still have to manually slot them in between the original singers somewhere to keep the rotation fair, for both the original singers and the new singers.
in "add singer/song" dialog.
the rotation doesn't move, so you can see the order at all times, just tell it where you want the new singers.
blade316 wrote:Silence detection - customizable
One thing that is missing from Siglos compared to CompuHost and Karaoki, is silence detection for the END OF tracks.
I personally never use silence detection at the BEGINNING of tracks, as I like the filler track to fade out and then give the performer a few seconds etc
However coming from using CompuHost and Karaoki for a long time, I'm missing this feature a lot.
Having the ability to set a time threshold (EG. 20 seconds), of when to start listening for lower decibel volume towards the end of the track is really useful.
Most Sunfly tracks have about a 7 second silence for their end credits, and it leads to 'dead air' at the show, which is never good.
The only thing to be mindful of with this is, it has to be smart enough to listen if there is a break in the last part of the song and then it comes back in again for the ending etc.
At the moment, I am manually fading in filler tracks from a separate channel, which just means an extra action on my part that could be done by the system.
in settings. it does exactly this.

### Would be handy ###
blade316 wrote:Fade to stop option
When clicking the stop button the track fades out, instead of stopping immediately. Basically the same as what it does when using the 'Go to Next' button.
The reason this would be good is, when you use 'Go to Next' it removes that track from the singer, and does exactly what its told, which is 'Go to Next'.
However you may want to remain on the same singer and simply change their song from another one in their song queue.
Yes, you could use the 'Restart' button and achieve the same result of staying on the current singer, then switch their song, however having the stop button do it too would be good.
So essentially, if its playing a filler track, clicking stop fades the music out, then waits. If its playing a karaoke track, click stop fades the karaoke track out, and brings in the filler music.
You could also have a setting that specifies "when a karaoke song is playing, clicking stop button fades karaoke track out, then starts next filler music track", or if it fades the track out then waits.
already there, by default it takes 3 seconds to fade, but you can customize that in settings.
blade316 wrote:Filler music - Volume setting
Would be great to have the ability to set the volume for filler music in between karaoke songs, as normally you don't want the filler track to be as loud as the previous karaoke song.
Yes you can manually turn down the overall volume each time when the filler music starts, then turn it back up when you start the next karaoke track, however a volume setting would mean you dont have to worry about it.
And yes you could also batch process all your filler music tracks with MP3Gain or something, to reduce their volume by 20dB or so, but c'mon, its 2018 and we are not savages here! ;)
when the filler music is playing, adjust the volume to the level you wish. it will remember that setting.
blade316 wrote:Filler music - Track continues playing silenty
It would be really handy to have the option to have each filler track keep going silently once the karaoke songs start.
This means that when the filler music comes back in after the karaoke song, its not starting at the same point form where it left off.
Having it start where it left off, means you only get to hear a handful of filler songs per show.
I find crowds are much more enthusiastic when a different part of the song comes back in, or if its another song completely.
Yes I know you can set it to start a new track each time the filler music starts, however a lot of songs have less than exciting intros haha :)
keep in mind, a 4 minute fill in song playing under a 4:10 karaoke song means you will end up on a new song each time anyway. though i get what you are going for.

### Just because Siglos is awesome! ###
blade316 wrote:Filler music - Skip ahead when playing new filler track
This could tie into the above point, but it would be awesome to be able to set a cue point for filler tracks to start on.
Meaning that you could set each new filler track to start at the 15 or 20 second mark, which would skip most intros.
Not the end of the world having the intro, but might be a good feature.
not a bad idea.

So anyway, thats my initial feedback on Siglos, and I would love to hear all your thoughts and comments and any features you may think of :)

Cheers,

Daniel[/quote]
blade316

Post by blade316 »

Hey Paradigm!

Thanks for your reply, let me work through it ....

Smart rotation builder
you can set SKP to put new singers x# of songs out, whcih when you get to the bottom of the rotation, will start a new one with those singers where you wanted them. it's at the bottom of the "add singer/song" dialog.
I'm aware of that setting, and I do get where you are coming from, but with that logic, you could use the 'Add to the beginning of the rotation' function and then move that singer manually to where you want them.

e.g. Insert to beginning, then use the move arrow to slot them after 'rotation one's' initial two singer etc.

Using your method, you are basically just counting how many singer slots to where you want them placed. But I get what you're saying, I'll have another play with that and try and get more familiar.

there is a button to deactivate a singer which does exactly that. on the left of the rotation screen it looks like an hourglass
Skip button would be more visually suitable, but no worries I will test the deactivate singer as an option for that scenario.

Override next singer
the "make this singer next" does that.
Same as above.

Rotation Break Point
in "add singer/song" dialog.
the rotation doesn't move, so you can see the order at all times, just tell it where you want the new singers.
I may just be so used to the CH and PCDJ that I'm yet to wrap my head around the way SKP does it. I will delve into this more.

in settings. it does exactly this.
Unfortunately this is not the case. Let me clarify.
Yes, there are two settings:

1. Skip silence at the beginning of the song - Start at least 'x' amount of seconds before music begins.

I've tested this, and it absolutely works and works well. However I do not use detect silence at the BEGINNING of songs.

2. Skip silence at the end of a song - End 'x' amount of seconds after music ends.

I went back and re-visited this feature, and I set the end amount to '0' seconds, and it does work, however with CH and PCDJ, I'm just used to having it start fading in the filler tracks when:

a) the song volume falls below a certain threshold AND
b) it falls within the specified detection time . i.e. start listening 20 seconds before the song finishes.

I think what SKP its doing, is simply waiting until the actual song file has ended, then apply that setting. Rather than doing actual silence detection using a volume threshold. This means there is a slight delay until the filler music starts again. Whilst its not a huge issue for others, my shows are quite energetic and I don't like any dead air. #firstworldproblems!

Fade to stop option
already there, by default it takes 3 seconds to fade, but you can customize that in settings.
There's no fade to stop option that I can see, I think what you are referring to is the 'Crossfade time when using the restart button' setting, however
I was meaning the actual stop button on the transport controls.

However, it could be argued that the stop button is just that 'stop everything' and thats why its like that. Just different in SKP i guess.

when the filler music is playing, adjust the volume to the level you wish. it will remember that setting.
I had no idea about this one, I did it and it works. Tick that one off!

keep in mind, a 4 minute fill in song playing under a 4:10 karaoke song means you will end up on a new song each time anyway. though i get what you are going for.
Yeah its just to keep the music progressing organically, rather than having to pick between:

a) hearing the exact same filler song from different parts in between each karaoke song ... OR
b) hearing only the intro of each new filler track

Its just a little restrictive is all.

not a bad idea.
Yeah I thought so, could be a handy feature.
However I would much prefer proper filler track crossfade in and outs before this feature.
Paradigm Karaoke

There's no fade to stop option that I can see, I think what you are referring to is the 'Crossfade time when using the restart button' setting, however
I was meaning the actual stop button on the transport controls.

you have two options
1) you want to go and give the same singer a different song...
"can i do this one instead"...
click "restart" and it fades to stop

2) you want to end this singer and go to the next one.
"i'm done, go ahead and cut it"
click "go to next" and it fades to stop.

"I'm aware of that setting, and I do get where you are coming from, but with that logic, you could use the 'Add to the beginning of the rotation' function and then move that singer manually to where you want them. "

what i do is use the "no sooner than after the following number of singers" and i set mine to 6. this will put the new singers no less than 6 spaces out even when that means it goes up to the top and into the next rotation. and inf the night changes i can make that number larger or smaller should i need to (sudden mass exodus or mass influx) i can change the number to 3 or 9 if i want to compensate. it really works very fluid. but understanding the static rotation list comes first. where the others move the list on screen, SKP keeps the list in the order that you see in front of you. i think it gives a better representation of how the night truely looks.

the deactivate button lets you do that to any singers for as long as needed. when they show up, just reactivate them and they are in the same spot in the rotation they were when they left.

i get what you are looking for now with silence detection. SKP does use proper silence detection, but does something different with that information.
it allows the singer to finish the song completely instead of having to sing over the song and fill in mixed together. for songs with outros, no problem, but when the singing goes to the end, the fill in mixing over top of the end of the song because it is low volume and under 20 seconds....
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

Wow, this is a lot of insight. blade316, thank you for your effort of writing this down. And even more than you to Paradigm for answering :)

As of fill-in and crossfade -- the current version of software uses the same engine to play karaoke and fill-in music. So we may do fade-out and fade-in, but cannot do crossfades. I am afraid if redoing this, as it may break so many things I am not sure it is worth it. I have new fill-in player on the list that would make all this possible, but it is not top priority I am afraid.
Paradigm Karaoke

we got your back Piotr, hop you enjoyed your vacation.
blade316

Post by blade316 »

Hey guys!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been away for a few weeks.

@Piotr
Wow, this is a lot of insight. blade316, thank you for your effort of writing this down. And even more than you to Paradigm for answering
No problems, I figured I would just give my initial thoughts after making the recent switch to SKP, after using the other competitors for so long.

Paradigm answered a lot of the basics which is great, and I have already had success with the filler music volume level, and the skip singer function, so thats a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:04 pm Post subject:
Wow, this is a lot of insight. blade316, thank you for your effort of writing this down. And even more than you to Paradigm for answering Smile

As of fill-in and crossfade -- the current version of software uses the same engine to play karaoke and fill-in music. So we may do fade-out and fade-in, but cannot do crossfades. I am afraid if redoing this, as it may break so many things I am not sure it is worth it. I have new fill-in player on the list that would make all this possible, but it is not top priority I am afraid.
Yep, understood. Honestly crossfade isn't so much of a concern, my main issue at the moment, is that even when I set the detect silence at the end of tracks to 0 seconds, there is still a little bit of dead air in there, as it seems to take about 1-2 seconds to load the filler track. Its not a huge issue, its just nicer to have smooth consistent music playing, rather than going from say a great rock song with an abrupt ending, straight into 1-2 seconds of silence.

I would be more than happy with a fade in setting at the end of the track, even 2 seconds would offset the current 1-2 seconds dead air time :D

Anyway, I'll await a future update and if you can add something in, then bonus.