Adding individual songs to KP

Share your ideas of the new features you would like to see

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

hornet59

Adding individual songs to KP

Post by hornet59 »

Piotr, is it possible to add a feature that will allow the KJ to add individual songs to KP? I have a back up that I use for parties that does not want explicit songs. However, if I purchase a single song or several songs that I want to add to KP I can only add it if I select the folder it is in and the folder may contain explicit songs which I don't want added. Adding a feature to add individual songs would solve this problem.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

go to the same place you do to add a folder, "Import Songs", and on the right hand side of that window there is a mostly blank square. you can drag and drop the song there and it will add only that song to the library.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Thanks for the tip Paradigm, but I was hoping that I could add the song(s) without using drag and drop.
Paradigm Karaoke

how about this idea....stay with me through the full explanation and this will all come together....
Piotr, this is something that i know others deal with as well on all hosting platforms....explicit songs at private events and family shows.
what if in manage song database, some more columns are added.
*decade* (great for theme nights, but also people will ask "what do you have for 80's rock?", just a dropdown would work)
*genre* (several columns would be great with dropdowns for multiple selections like AC/DC would fall under Rock, Hard Rock, & Classic Rock)
*Duet* (people CONSTANTLY ask what we have for duets. a checkbox would do fine here)
*Language* (also, get asked what we have for Spanish music. another dropdown)
*explicit* (mark a song as having explicit lyrics. another simple check box)

then..........

in the remote queue settings, have a check box marked "hide songs marked explicit"

then in an event where those songs are not to be shown, all it would take is clicking the checkbox and not having to keep two separate databases.

the dropdowns could come from a master list in the song database dialog. a button to open a tabbed window like in the remote queue settings
one tab for each of the dropdown menus, and it shows an editable list so as needed, we can add new genres or languages that we may need (for example, in SongbookDB there is no option for this, so my Ska songs are not marked as such, nor are my Ranchera or Salsa because i can't add to the list. i'm constantly surprised how many people come up and ask "do you have any Rumbas?"
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Paradigm, I absolutely L-O-V-E your suggestion. I hope Piotr will be able to add this enhancement without much problem. Like you said, if this suggestion is doable we wouldn't have to keep several databases.

Piotr, please please please say Paradigm suggestion is an easy add on!!!!!!
hawke68

Post by hawke68 »

Piotr did say they were going to add a duets button to the remote queue so this idea may very well be doable with perhaps buttons on the remote for say seasonal, alt languages along with the duet button all being toggleable to hide or show said buttons like we have now. hopefully this is so
Paradigm Karaoke

the new version allows you to create different catalogs like you want to. it's a great and unique feature!!!
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

If I created a collection called Explicit and I am gigging at a party that does not want any explicit songs. How do I hide all of the explicit songs from coming up in the remote search results? I can't seem to find a way to do that, in fact I'm not sure if it is even possible in version 43. Am I supposed to delete the songs off the "All Songs" list?
Paradigm Karaoke

here is how the collections work.

in the database settings dialog there are new buttons at the top right for creating and editing collections.

"all" shows, as expected, all songs.
great for your normal bar shows where you don't censor singers.

then create a new collection called "no explicit"
click the "show all" button, then add all to this collection.
now you have a second complete collection of all your songs.
at this point is where you delete them from the "no explicit" collection.
if you have them already marked some way showing explicit, even better because then you can just earch for that marker and remove them from the collection.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Hey Paradigm thanks for the tip. However, I'm sorta lost. This is what I did:

1. Created a collection titled "No Explicit"
2. Clicked on "Show All" button
3. Clicked on "Add All Visible"
4. Removed explicit songs
5. Clicked on "Saved" button
6. Refreshed SKP

When I go to the kiosk it still shows all the explicit songs in the regular search. However, now I can display a "No Explicit" choice on the kiosk, which doesn't include the explicit songs. One thing I noticed is that even though I removed the explicit songs it will still show up in SKP's song database in the "No Explicit" collection. I would assume that it should disappear from the "No Explicit" collection song database once it is deleted.

It looks like I would have to hide the regular search features and create a new choice in the remote queue settings called "Browse by Artist" and select the "No Explicit" collection and display just this choice.

I think creating a collection was made to only add another button on the kiosk. So if I created a "Duet" collection I can display a "Duet" choice on the kiosk where clicking this choice will display my duet songs.

*One suggestion Piotr, for the newly created collection can the search be changed to search by both artist or title not just artist?
hawke68

Post by hawke68 »

playing with 43..problems i am having so far
1. when i click add selected it adds all visible songs to the collection.
2. when i add a new song to a collection and click on the button on the kiosk it only shows that song instead of all the songs added prior plus that new song.

did i miss a step or something?

edit** couple more items
1. the keep aspect ratio box in the use image on remote kiosk title page settings won't stay checked. I have to recheck it every time I start 43
2. The column width on the remote queue still keeps readjusting from whereever I set them to.
Last edited by hawke68 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Karaoke

hornet59 wrote: When I go to the kiosk it still shows all the explicit songs in the regular search. However, now I can display a "No Explicit" choice on the kiosk, which doesn't include the explicit songs. One thing I noticed is that even though I removed the explicit songs it will still show up in SKP's song database in the "No Explicit" collection. I would assume that it should disappear from the "No Explicit" collection song database once it is deleted.

It looks like I would have to hide the regular search features and create a new choice in the remote queue settings called "Browse by Artist" and select the "No Explicit" collection and display just this choice.

I think creating a collection was made to only add another button on the kiosk. So if I created a "Duet" collection I can display a "Duet" choice on the kiosk where clicking this choice will display my duet songs.

*One suggestion Piotr, for the newly created collection can the search be changed to search by both artist or title not just artist?
let me make sure i understand what you are saying.
when you click the box to show "no explicit", you can still search in the kiosk for songs that are explicit even though they should not be displayed?
Paradigm Karaoke

hawke68 wrote:playing with 43..problems i am having so far
1. when i click add selected it adds all visible songs to the collection.
2. when i add a new song to a collection and click on the button on the kiosk it only shows that song instead of all the songs added prior plus that new song.

did i miss a step or something?
i will mess with it and see. admittedly i have not played with this feature yet.
Paradigm Karaoke

ok, after playing with it, i think your suggestion to make the new collections searchable by title as well will fix everything.
that way all you need to do is click the checkbox for "no explicit" and uncheck the box for "search for song" and everything will be good.
blade316

Post by blade316 »

hey guys,

I thought I might chime in here and hopefully offer some input.

I've read through your posts and your idea is good, however I believe you guys are thinking too small, and also a bit too basic.

Essentially all you are asking for is the ability to house more metadata for your songs. SKP obviously already has DB's for its basic song database management, however as we are all aware, at the moment its just basic, which is fine as it does exactly what it needs to do.

From a programming perspective, having the devs introduce the items that you want, sticking with SKP's existing 'on/off' methodology for a lot of its options, in my opinion, is a pretty inefficient way to do it. Also your idea to add a checkboxes for this and a checkboxes for that, along with drop down lists is just crazy, and will only clutter up the UI even more. The UI already has checkboxes and fields everywhere, we don't want to clutter it up even more ..... It would be far more efficient and beneficial for the devs to put control back into the hosts hands, with regards to metadata and song specific information, rather than having to keep adding one thing after the other, each time someone wants a new type of meta data field etc.

So my suggestion is for the introduction of tags .... they are simple, but ultra effective, take up literally no space, and YOU are in full control of what YOU want to tag things with. If any of you are MacOS or Linux users, then you already know what I'm talking about.

So using the example below:
how about this idea....stay with me through the full explanation and this will all come together....
Piotr, this is something that i know others deal with as well on all hosting platforms....explicit songs at private events and family shows.
what if in manage song database, some more columns are added.
*decade* (great for theme nights, but also people will ask "what do you have for 80's rock?", just a dropdown would work)
*genre* (several columns would be great with dropdowns for multiple selections like AC/DC would fall under Rock, Hard Rock, & Classic Rock)
*Duet* (people CONSTANTLY ask what we have for duets. a checkbox would do fine here)
*Language* (also, get asked what we have for Spanish music. another dropdown)
*explicit* (mark a song as having explicit lyrics. another simple check box)
here's how easy it would be with tags, literally would take how ever long for you to type them out, create separate tags for:

80s, Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Duet, Spanish, Explicit

Then devs would create a corresponding function to then be able to apply those tags in bulk across your song library, and allow you to specify search filters to identify tracks you wish to apply those tags to.

For example:

Step 1: "Please select the tags you wish to apply"
So you select "90s, Rock, English, Clean"

Step 2: "Please select the tracks you wish to apply the tags to"
In this step you should be able to filter using multiple criteria that you specify.

i.e. Name contains "Nirvana" and 'filename prefix' + ' begins with' "SF, SFMW, SFG" .... this would result only in tracks starting with sunfly based prefixes and has Nirvana in them.

Step 3 - Select the tracks within the results, either Select All, or just specific ones.

Step 4 - Apply.

Step 5 - Rinse and Repeat.

--------------

The above is a crude example, but you get the idea, the tags would also be searchable to find songs too. So if you wanted to find all your SoundChoice Country songs from the 90's, search with the tags:

90s, Country, SoundChoice.

Also another thing that is often overlooked, is that metadata for most of these tracks will already exist for the original songs, on many platforms like Discogs, MusicBrainz, Picard, Amazon Music etc .... But no karaoke software to date seems to tap into that to assist the hosts in either cleaning up their libraries, or adding extra data to them. But thats a conversation for another day.

So thats my idea for what I believe is a much better solution to song library metadata management, and putting the control back in the hosts hands. It could also be another big step in setting SKP apart from the other 'big 4' karaoke software vendors.

Cheers!

Daniel