Compressed Bin file conversion

Share your ideas of the new features you would like to see

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

josephahern

Compressed Bin file conversion

Post by josephahern »

I am looking into somehow converting all my Thousands of karaoke into a format where only one file per song is involved. Another company has a KMA file format. Does Power offer anything similar?
adam

Re: Compressed Bin file conversion

Post by adam »

If you are referring to MP3+G, the easiest way to get one file for each song is to archive each MPG+CDG pair as a ZIP archive. It can be done using Convert tab in Power CD+G Burner 2.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

Adam's suggestion would be the best bet, i am talking with someone on a different forum who is stuck with a proprietary format like KMA and can not use the files anywhere else. a zipped mp3+G also does not degrade the audio any unlike proprietary formats.
josephahern

Post by josephahern »

Thanks for steering me to zips. I was thinking of using Video Converter (too slow and quality vs size concerns) or KMA through proprietary software which I would have to pay for an upgrade for my years old purchase. I was ignoring the zips possibility because I didn't know how to make one play if I double click it. I figured that part out (You right click it and choose Siglos as default app to open)

For renaming, since sometimes data bases provide slightly wrong names, I was hoping to be able to just tweek the name of one file. (And I would hate to rename cdg and mp3 files) These new zips are hard to rename. (Internal file names remain unchanged of course.) Finally figured out how to totally rewrite the name but making a small tweek was not feasible. I'll keep working on it.

And of course Power Burner is lighting fast at forming zip from mp3+g. It will also convert wma+g to Mp3+g Zip but not as quickly as it needs time to convert the wma file. (Doesn't say it will do it though, I just tried, and it worked.)

Post by Guest »

I have found that tweaking the name of a zip file is simplicity itself. Right click the file and choose the rename option, then go the the place that needs the name tweak. I think I was double clicking too fast or something, I don't know why I thought it was difficult. So I can't think of an advantage over zipping of any of the previous methods. (most formats would have to be unwrapped while working in tools, and if I have any other kinds of zip files, which I don't, I might have to choose a default program above Siglos) but these save me worrying about buying that proprietary software to make KMA files.
Paradigm Karaoke

the big advantages are
1) it is not proprietary
2)it does not re-convert the files, so does not degrade the quality in any way
3) computers can unzip even heavily zipped files with ease quickly so you can save disc space (not that disc space is expensive anymore)
4) there are still 2 files inside, you can re-rip the graphics for a bad file if needed and replace
5) having the mp3 file allows you to use mp3gain to even out the volume of your entire library which proprietary formats can not.
josephahern

Post by josephahern »

Thanks again. I am converting my entire library to zip.

Just a point, since I have bins, wma-g and Wave-g files, there would have to be some change in quality (especially with the lossless, original ones)
I think there is some tweaking of quality in the settings as well. Maybe you can enlighten me, I don't understand if choosing ,say, the 192 kbps setting is countermanded by the High Normal or Low Setting
Paradigm Karaoke

i would use the largest you can, that's 320k mp3 at high.
most say there is not a noticed difference in bar settings, but it's not like hard drive space is at a premium.
use the best conversion you can, the use mp3 gain for all the tracks set to 89dB
then zip them together in pairs.