Adding New Songs

This is the place for general discussion about our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

kjben

Adding New Songs

Post by kjben »

Gentlemen,

I have been using Siglos Karaoke Pro for well over a year now and we love it. I do however have one concern...I store my songs in a file on an external hard drive. I have another folder that has my new additions....after I import the songs from the new additions folder and then validate, I delete the songs in the new additions folder. When I reopen Siglos and validate, it always can't find the latest additions and I have to clear list and reload the entire library which with only 60,000 songs, takes over 40 minutes. Am I missing a step? Is my procedure wrong? Why does it take so long to load all my songs? My buddy uses S&D and loads 160,000 songs in under 5 minutes....Please advise
KJBen
adam

Post by adam »

Siglos database contains the info about files' location only, not the files themselves. The songs must remain in their original location after they are added to the database. If you delete or move them, the database entries will not be valid any more.
kjben

Post by kjben »

Adam,
I don't think you followed me....There are two folders on my external hard drive....Karaoke Songs and New Additions. When I get new songs I put them in The New Additions folder and the Karaoke Songs folder. I then import them into Siglos using manage song database > import songs.Now these new songs are loaded into Siglos, In the New Additions Folder and The Karaoke Songs Folder. I validate then delete the songs in the New Additions Folder because they are already in the Karaoke Songs Folder. If I re-open Siglos and validate...it does not see the newly added songs.
If I import the new songs directly from the Karaoke Songs folder it takes way too long each time I add songs.
How Do others load new songs....input please

KJBen
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

if you tell Siglos to look for the songs in the new additions folder, then delete them it will lose track and not find them. when you validat songs, it pops up saying it can not find them and asks where to look. you can direct it to look in the karaoke songs folder and it will find them in there.
i just add them to my main folder and then do a regular import. it will ignore songs already in there and only add new songs. your computer may be a bit low on specs as mine will import 14,000 songs in under a minute.
kjben

Adding Songs

Post by kjben »

Thanks for the response Paradigm....If I may pick your brain a bit.. I am running an Acer Windows 7 64bit Laptop [email protected] GHZ with 4 gigs of ram...I would think that would be quite ample. When you import song there are 3 options to have checked or unchecked, I don't know if this makes a difference, but humor me. I have INCLUDE SUBFOLDERS checked...READ TITLE/ARTIST DATA unchecked....ADD UNMATCHED FILES checked. It takes a long time to import with this configuration.

Please advise, I appreciate any help you can offer.
Thank You,

KJBen
Paradigm Karaoke

tell me you're not zipping your files............
kjben

Adding Songs

Post by kjben »

I can't tell you that....all my files are zip files....please advise

KJBen
Paradigm Karaoke

there's your problem.
every file has to be opened to see the tag info.

if the zips are named correctly you can uncheck the read from mp3 tag box and do it that way.

these days zip is un-necessary and can be a hindrance at times with processor speed being faster the lag is more obvious.
loehrs1955

Zipped vs unzipped files

Post by loehrs1955 »

Hope you don't mind me joining your thread. All my 83,000+ files are zipped as well. I've had some problems with system crashes and VERY slow searches while running a show. Could the zipped file format be causing that or does it just slow the importing process when adding new files? Does zipping the files really save much hard-drive space?
kjben

Adding Songs

Post by kjben »

By opening you mean you have to display the Mp3 and G file separately?

KJBen
Paradigm Karaoke

Re: Zipped vs unzipped files

loehrs1955 wrote:Hope you don't mind me joining your thread. All my 83,000+ files are zipped as well. I've had some problems with system crashes and VERY slow searches while running a show. Could the zipped file format be causing that or does it just slow the importing process when adding new files? Does zipping the files really save much hard-drive space?
your's just sounds like so many tracks that the search is an exclusive search. every letter you type it recatalogs to show only those entries containing those letters one at a time and with 83,000 songs that takes a while.
how long have you been doing this to have bought 83,000 songs????
6 years and i have 14,000

zipping saves space, but drive space is so inexpensive it is nit necessary, i just saw a 3TB for $99.99.
Paradigm Karaoke

Re: Adding Songs

kjben wrote:By opening you mean you have to display the Mp3 and G file separately?

KJBen
the MP3 tag can not be read through a closed folder (picture it that way). it needs to unzip the folder to look at the MP3 file to read the tag.

picture a book (MP3) inside a duffel bag (zip folder)
you cant see the table of contents of the book until you unzip the duffel bag and pull out the book and look inside, then put it back and zip up again. now do that with thousands of duffel bags and the issue becomes apparent quickly.
kjben

Adding SOngs

Post by kjben »

Paradigm Karaoke: If I understand you correctly, My folder would have the zip file, an mp3 file and a cdg file for eash song. Once I unzip or extract the files, do I still need the zip file? Sorry, I'm getting a little confused and a little uneasy as I do 3 - 4 shows a week, so I don't have room for error. Can Siglos pro just use the cdg and the mp3 as long as they are in the same folder?

KJBen
Paradigm Karaoke

the MP3 and CDG files are in the zip folder.
kjben

Adding songs

Post by kjben »

I understand that...let me ask you another way...does the folder that contains all your karaoke songs also contain the zip file format as well as the mp3 & cdg file format, or does it just contain the mp3 & cdg files?

To reiterate, Siglos does NOT need any zip files to run correctly?

KJBen