The ability to put up stills (in rotation) between singers (drink specials, upcoming shows, etc.)

Share your ideas of the new features you would like to see

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

MaximumK

The ability to put up stills (in rotation) between singers (drink specials, upcoming shows, etc.)

Post by MaximumK »

Is it possible to add a slideshow running between singers or while the fill in music is playing? This could be used to promote future shows, the bar specials, a contest etc. - we could throw up a few pictures of the regulars singing..

The ability to designate a list (maybe structured like the music fill-in list) of rotating announcement background images would be excellent, because then we could then effectively promote upcoming band nights, venue drink and food specials, our DJ businesses, etc., all while I'm doing our shows. This would add to show marketability.

Possibly we could have a rotating folder of images that would be displayed behind the intro text. I do this in my show now, but have to manually assign images to individual singers, which is extremely cumbersome and prone to error and unnecessary duplication.

Please consider adding this!
SKP-User-Since-2011

Re: The ability to put up stills (in rotation) between singers (drink specials, upcoming shows, etc.)

Post by SKP-User-Since-2011 »

Yeah, I second this. It would be a great addition!
DannyGsKaraoke

Re: The ability to put up stills (in rotation) between singers (drink specials, upcoming shows, etc.)

Post by DannyGsKaraoke »

It's a good idea but to do that. you would have to disable the announcement screen and do it through the regular screen which is always blank. I'd prefer a picture as well. Personally have no use for the announcement screen as the scroller Marquee does a better job in my opinion. For now, you can type in the specials in the Marquee.
MaximumK

Post by MaximumK »

We use more than 10 graphics a night, (and for now, anyway) assign them to singers (yes, during next singer announcements, while they approach the stage), and refer to them while onscreen as "live reads" (like how they're are used on live TV) to promote show sponsors and upcoming events.

I do not use the marquee for several reasons.

One, people ignore the marquee after seeing it for two minutes (even if you change it).

Two, the type has to kept too small to have any *impact* (or you risk cluttering up the screen with excessive text and creating a confusing and complicated visual).

Three, our graphics have proven to have actual impact on sales when they're used.

We already use graphics in our announcement screen (designed with room for singer name), but we're looking for a rotation option to be added, just like in the fill-in playlist.
DannyGsKaraoke

Post by DannyGsKaraoke »

MaximumK wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 am We use more than 10 graphics a night, (and for now, anyway) assign them to singers (yes, during next singer announcements, while they approach the stage), and refer to them while onscreen as "live reads" (like how they're are used on live TV) to promote show sponsors and upcoming events.

I do not use the marquee for several reasons.

One, people ignore the marquee after seeing it for two minutes (even if you change it).

Two, the type has to kept too small to have any *impact* (or you risk cluttering up the screen with excessive text and creating a confusing and complicated visual).

Three, our graphics have proven to have actual impact on sales when they're used.

We already use graphics in our announcement screen (designed with room for singer name), but we're looking for a rotation option to be added, just like in the [please do not post unlock codes] playlist.
I have had the total opposite of that. I actually find that I don't have time to adequately show the announcement screen because my singers are paying attention to the scroller and with maybe a single exception are taking the mic away from the current singer as the lyrics are over and before the music even ends meaning that I go right into the next song without having to even announce the next singer. At least that's been my experience.
SKP-User-Since-2011

Post by SKP-User-Since-2011 »

Well...my singers don't run my show, *I* run my show. I control the energy in the room, and direct the flow. It's always high energy, but first and foremost it's *my energy*.

I can get away with that attitude (oh, and I *know* it's an attitude) because over the last 5 1/2 years I've built my main show to a 40-60 singer nightly rotation (with typically 25-30 being one-ups/first-timers), and our sales gross averages $1,200-$1,500 (with peaks of $2k), and a record (2 weeks ago) of $3k. This is in a city of 30k people, 250k in a 50 mile radius. I negotiated to be paid straight percentage, so some nights I take home $600+.

Do the testosterone-pumped and estrogen-dominated drunks *try* to push boundaries? Yeah, but I verbalize basic ground rules at the beginning of the night. It not only keeps most bullsh*t in check, but I have found it has also established the show's identity.

My style is more of an emcee and circus ringleader, and less of a passive host. That's compatible with my personality type.

Kissing the customer's @ss only causes them to lose respect, and makes the female singers more likely to ask for "put me in next!". I shut that down quick.

We have 30-40 regulars who pretty much never miss the show. I treat them like gold and as a result they are very loyal (they're there 80-85% of all Fridays). We have a secret Facebook group where I bounce new ideas off them, and solicit their suggestions.

But I digress.

Can we have this feature at least considered, ops?
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

wow....
he said he had his singers trained to be ready.
he is in control of his show.
training then is the opposite of kissing their a$$.
he said this wasn't necessary for him because he does not have enough time between his singers (of which he has too many for the night and has them trained to be ready) to be able to show these in between.
that said...
it is a good idea for those that DO have time between singers to show specials etc.
a method i use that works well for announcements of any kind is creating a singer.
i have one named "requests" showing how to use the kiosk
"facebook" showing our page and website info
"drink special 1,2,3,4", etc showing whatever specials
"event" showing a special or upcoming event.
they use the custom announce screens and i use my flyer or whatever as the background
shrink all the text boxes to 1 point font and down in the corner out of view.
i can place these in my rotation as i like, in my case i do after every 5th singer for 30 seconds.
then after the 5th singer is done, it will automatically show regardless of my memory.
until this idea comes to be, this option could give you the same effect.
DannyGsKaraoke

Post by DannyGsKaraoke »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:37 am wow....
he said he had his singers trained to be ready.
he is in control of his show.
training then is the opposite of kissing their a$$.
he said this wasn't necessary for him because he does not have enough time between his singers (of which he has too many for the night and has them trained to be ready) to be able to show these in between.
that said...
it is a good idea for those that DO have time between singers to show specials etc.
a method i use that works well for announcements of any kind is creating a singer.
i have one named "requests" showing how to use the kiosk
"facebook" showing our page and website info
"drink special 1,2,3,4", etc showing whatever specials
"event" showing a special or upcoming event.
they use the custom announce screens and i use my flyer or whatever as the background
shrink all the text boxes to 1 point font and down in the corner out of view.
i can place these in my rotation as i like, in my case i do after every 5th singer for 30 seconds.
then after the 5th singer is done, it will automatically show regardless of my memory.
until this idea comes to be, this option could give you the same effect.
Yes my singers follow my scroller, which is good for announcements as well. But it doesn't mean that it's a bad suggestion for an option for those who want to make use of it. Wasn't poo pooing the suggestion at all.
el dingo

Post by el dingo »

I think you're both right! (I certainly *meant* no disrespect, and I apologize for how I presented it). All shows are different, and no one way is "the best"!

My show is highly-programmed, highly *structured* - leaning from my days in live radio and television. I *drive* the night, and it's an intense show (that matches the intensity of the talent that graces it's presence). 1/3 are new(ish), 1/3 are casual/fun, and 1/3 are *serious*.

I only do the live reads every other singer (at most). I don't want it to be too heavy-handed.

Paradigm, I know I should just bite the bullet and adopt your approach (hopefully temporarily).

I appreciate your input and opinions.

(Pardon the multiple logins. I finally got a password reset working).
Paradigm Karaoke

would you be willing to share more on how you "drive the night"? TV and radio absolutely gives a different view on entertainment, perhaps you could share a bit of how you incorporate that into karaoke. we can all learn something no matter how long we have been doing it.
Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

So, is this topic dead?

No response from the developers.

I know MTU has this feature.

I've been buying the updates here yearly for the last 8 years.

Maybe it's time for a switch.
Paradigm Karaoke

i actually use the method shown above. i have a singer named "drink special" and for the custom announcement screen i put the slide i want to show.
i have another named "request dir" which shows a slide showing how to request songs
and another named "soc media" showing our facebok, twitter, etc.
this way i can put them every 4th singer for instance.
after each singer the next singer shows, then after the 4th (or another number depending on how busy the night is) it will show the announcement.
simply select the next singer and click star.
this gives us actually more control of the announcements as we can put them to show where and when we want them instead of a default slide show order after every singer.

at least that's my take on it.
Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

Well, I certainly appreciate your approach. It's quite ingenious.

My singers come up to me throughout the night, typically saying "hey, not trying to bother you, but how many away am I?" Right now they can see.

Manually adding a placeholder "person" every so many/so often gets very complicated when we have, say 30+ singers, and singers are being added, others have to be removed because somebody left, etc.

As the night progresses, it becomes endless f'withery to do what you've described, when it could be a simple rotating list.

Due to the age of the original post (almost a year) , and *zero* response from the dev/s, I just feel it might be time to invest in another software product. He/She/They are obviously not listening.

There are other options. I'm saying this after sticking with this software (and gladly paying for the updates and all) for 8+ years.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

I have to admit that we have been behind with new releases lately. But this will change, a major overhaul of remote interface is on its way. Also we have a list of requests from you that we are working on, they will come, please be patient for about a month.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Piotr wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:08 pm I have to admit that we have been behind with new releases lately. But this will change, a major overhaul of remote interface is on its way. Also we have a list of requests from you that we are working on, they will come, please be patient for about a month.
This is great news Piotr! Is it possible to come out with a tutorial about all your new features? Something like this will help a lot of people learn what you have added to SKP!