Editing songs made permanent

Share your ideas of the new features you would like to see

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

1okedoke

Editing songs made permanent

Post by 1okedoke »

Hello there,
Not sure if there is a feature available where when you edit a song e.g if the title is in the wrong place and you put the title in the correct column that this change is permanent in database.
When I have to reimport for some reason, all the corrections I made are not saved thanks.
DannyGsKaraoke

Re: Editing songs made permanent

Post by DannyGsKaraoke »

Probably need an outside program to permanently change the filename in question. A good free software for that is MP3Tag.
1okedoke

Post by 1okedoke »

Thanks
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

It sounds like you have the "Read Title/Artist Data from ID3 tags in MP3 files" checked. Uncheck that and see if that works better when you do your updates. Otherwise, you will need to update the ID3 in your files that are a problem.
1okedoke

Post by 1okedoke »

Yes was thinking I would have to rename each file from original source.Thanks
Tech-95

Post by Tech-95 »

That is a highly commendable request, one with which I wholeheartedly align myself, alongside 1okedoke. Allow me to elucidate why I consider this option to be of utmost significance.

Presently, I possess a purchased version of KJ File Manager (with the latest version 3.6.10), which its developers diligently keep updated, and it stands as one of the finest, if not the finest, that I personally have utilized for renaming and correcting the names of my CDG+MP3 Karaoke files and their "ID3". However, it is pertinent to mention that I have at my disposal a database comprising more than 300 thousand CDG files in various languages, including Italian, Portuguese, German, English, Spanish, Filipino, and even other languages. Furthermore, it is essential to comprehend that the name of an MP3 file does not invariably correspond to the same "ID Tags" recorded within that "MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3" (*.MP3) audio track, which encompasses additional information such as the song's title, artist name, album, genre, release year, etc. This information can only be viewed or written in an application capable of reading or writing "ID Tags," not in a File Manager like Windows. Consequently, the specific search for an MP3+G file can become tedious, arduous, and at times, nearly impracticable, particularly when we are precisely seeking to correct the "ID Tags".

When your database is of such extensive magnitude, the process of having to open KJ File Manager and then meticulously search for that particular file, which you noticed had an error, becomes overwhelmingly burdensome, wearisome, and occasionally quite challenging to locate amidst your hard drive.

If the option proposed by our friend 1okedoke were to be made available in Siglos Karaoke Professional, this entire process, which could take up a considerable amount of time, would be streamlined into merely correcting the file name directly from Siglos Karaoke Professional, ensuring that it remains permanently and entirely rectified. I find this suggestion to be most opportune and eminently suitable. Hopefully, the esteemed developers of Siglos Karaoke Professional would consider incorporating this feature.

I have even encountered situations where, during a show, when I reserve a karaoke using Siglos Karaoke Professional, I notice that the name of a karaoke file is incorrect. I am one who prefers to get things done in one go and not leave them for later. Unfortunately, Siglos Karaoke Professional does not offer the option to directly rename the file 'from the root,' not just in the database. Honestly, I feel that taking the time to rename the file solely in that database is a waste of time for me. If I were to clean up my systems or reinstall everything, including Windows and the same program (Siglos Karaoke Professional), I would inevitably come across the same problem again, as our friend 1okedoke pointed out.

I am aware that databases can be exported, imported, and saved, but this honestly does not serve my needs well. I prefer to have my entire collection with perfectly renamed files, done in the best way possible, without relying on "temporary patches", so to speak.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

Tech-95. I've asked them to add a button to the Validate Songs when it finds a missing track for us to locate the file. The have added the Locate button in the edit song screen to manually find the new file (when it's a track you know you've edited), but not the validate song screen which would be much easier.
Tech-95

Post by Tech-95 »

Although what I have presented is quite different from what you mentioned, I find the function you described interesting and very useful.

I'm not sure how clear I was when I explained that renaming the "ID3" information or, in general, the "ID Tags" of a file, in this case an MP3, requires an external application that involves reading and writing that same information using said application. The idea is to avoid having to search for the file with the misspelled or incorrect "ID3" and then having to open another application to rename it correctly. It is preferable to perform all the indicated actions in the same place and at the same moment the error is detected, without the need for multiple clicks to achieve it.

What I previously explained, and what I believe 1okedoke intended to convey, is that from the moment we find our first karaoke file to reserve, within the initial search options of Siglos Karaoke Professional, there should be an alternative that allows us to rename that file at the same moment of reserving that song. However, the modifications made at that instant should not only be available in the application's database but should also be directly inserted into the MP3 file. Remember that "ID3" tags are metadata (additional information about the MP3 file, such as artist name, album, genre, year of release, etc.) that are generally added in the form of tags at the beginning or end of the same MP3. Therefore, only an application capable of reading and writing such metadata could perform these actions.

Returning to your proposal, I would also support your request since I understand what you mean and have also experienced it.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

Gotcha. I'm just a user of the software. But it's good to bounce these things off each other so the devs know exactly what you're looking for. From how I see it, the currently database seems pretty simple though as it only imports the info given from the track itself. After the import, it doesn't care about the ID3 info. Hopefully they can add this feature for you guys.
Tech-95

Post by Tech-95 »

Agreed. Collaborating with users and developers is of utmost importance for continuous improvement. Thankfully, we have this forum for exchanging thoughts within this lovely virtual community.

I share your observation about the simplicity of the database, which solely focuses on track information. Let's say that, for the time being, Siglos Karaoke Professional has been specifically dedicated to solely reading those "ID3" tags and storing them in its database. On this occasion, we are not requesting the software to have the same advanced capability of "writing" those "ID3" tags as "KJ File Manager" does. However, we do hope that it will at least offer the possibility to easily rename not only in the database but also directly in the MP3 file itself, with great ease, right from the very first moment of reserving a karaoke and detecting any error in the file name. Enabling even the possibility of choosing whether to rename both the MP3 file itself or just the 'ID3'. This is because there might be some who prefer not to alter the name of the original file.

For instance, although what I'll mention implies already having reserved the karaoke and then clicking "Details", followed by "Edit Song" in the program, in the image below, the "Update" button could not only update the "ID3" in the database but also in the MP3 file itself. Ideally, and what I personally would like to find, is that this "Update" should be available right from the initial karaoke reservation, allowing us to update its name without having to go through so many clicks. Adding the "ID3" info feature would be a significant enhancement. I eagerly look forward to it!

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkkK297qEoHah4deF6Q ... w?e=8h7an6
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

Looking at that image, it's saving the location as the .cdg and not the .mp3 file. My files are zipped, so I didn't know how the mp3+g format was handled in the database. I also only import based on filename cause I find it to be easier.

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to have SKP update the existing tracks using the updated ID3 portion that KJ File Manager would write? Or the ability to have Siglos enable what you put in the database update the ID3 portion? Or both?

When you mention the "update" button, that's only for the duration of the song currently. It could probably be updated to look at the ID3 info as well. Could have ill effects if someone isn't active on editing the ID3 portion.

Back to the initial zip vs mp3+g thing, Siglos would have to extract the zip, edit the mp3 ID3 details and then re-save the zip file. Doesn't seem very effective in that application.
Tech-95

Post by Tech-95 »

The majority of my karaoke file renaming is done directly with KJ File Manager; however, occasionally, while using SKP or in a show, I come across a file randomly that contains a misspelled word or wrong name that needs correction. For example, based on the provided image, I could correct "Espanol" to "Español" and "Fernandez" to "Fernández" as an illustration. Once I have refined those texts, I would like to click on an "Update ID3" button that allows me to perform this action without having to go to KJ File Manager.

The idea, as previously explained, is to avoid the need to rely on another application for such a straightforward task like that or even perform multiple clicks within SKP to achieve this action at that very moment I detect an error in the file name. I am not interested in accessing the Database to perform such tasks, as I already have KJ File Manager for more advanced actions in that regard.

However, I believe SKP could easily be capable of renaming even a ZIP file, given that this process would apply to renaming only one individual file at a time and on very infrequent occasions when an incorrectly named file or misspelled words are detected. It would be difficult for me to believe that no one here has ever encountered one or another karaoke file under such circumstances at some point, especially when dealing with karaoke files in other languages. This option would be primarily used for "debugging" misspelled words or names in our karaoke files, which can occur for various reasons.

Also, trust me, when I use KJ File Manager and handle large quantities of names, letters, or words, there always remains one or another karaoke file with a spelling mistake or even an incorrect name that I may wish to correct later on in that very moment using SKP, but unfortunately, the tools within SKP to achieve this and correct both the file itself and its "ID Tag" name do not exist. I hope that this time, I have explained myself better and formed the idea with greater precision. :wink:
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

I will definitely work on this, I had some ideas on the shelf that are along the ideas that you have described.

Sorry for answering late, I am on my vacations and all serious job needs to wait for one more weel :wink:
1okedoke

Post by 1okedoke »

Thanks everyone who replied regarding this post!!
Thanks Piotr for your reply too.
Enjoy the holidays!
I live in New Zealand and it's winter lol!