Big Issues With External Screen & Windows 8.1

Get help with the bugs you encounter in our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

djgaryc

Big Issues With External Screen & Windows 8.1

Post by djgaryc »

Hi All

I have bought a new laptop last week because me windows 7 laptop had issues.

The new one I have is:
HP Envy TS 15 Notebook
Intel i5-4200M CPU 2.50ghz
4GB Ram
64 Bit - Windows 8.1

I started all again, new licence update for SKP, running the latest version of SKP.

When it first started, the searching was slow (1 letter ever 30 seconds or so), crashed the software about 3-5 times

My main issue is second screen issues via HDMI. I can't use VGA so HDMI is the only way I can connect. On my Windows 7, I have had issues in the past with the settings of HDMI taking the sound to the external monitor meaning I lost stereo jack out to the mixer even for when I changed the settings

The new laptop goes HDMI Out > HDMI to HDMI + RCA Out > Monitor. A little more than needed, but I don't have to mess with settings, and I get to send the audio signal back to the mixer.

When I tried to set the 2nd display as an external monitor in SKP, and extended desktop in Windows, I get all sorts of issues.

1) The task bar is repeated on the monitor
2) When I tell SKP to go full screen, it only sets full screen for half the external screen
3) If I manually drag the singer panel to the external side of the screen, then the words do not flow correctly while playing files (Either MP3+G Zip or just MP3+G) - However, while in Singing Next screen, the full screen is seen.

I have given you links to drop box photo's so you can see what I am talking about.

The only way I could do my show last night was to use the external screen as my screen, and use the laptop screen as my singers screen. Very weird display.

Manual resized screen on singer announcement - external screen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wggwpiulc1sey ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Half Singer announcement and singers screen on external
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycc4v1zxq6ykw ... 9.jpg?dl=0

How I got it working
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cauoskcizux0p ... 7.jpg?dl=0

Please help... I need a fox by Thursday night

Cheers
Gary
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

For your slow search go to settings ---> KJ cont ---> set number of characters to start interactive search to 3 or 4 and see if that helps

For your task bar display problem google search task bar display on extended desktop windows 8.1. Sorry but the website thinks I'm posting an unlock code when I tried to post the link to a website.

For your full screen problem, what resolution are you using for your monitor?

Hope these tips help
djgaryc

Post by djgaryc »

Hi Hornet

The search thing was crashing so when I change it to 4 letters it still has to search which I think it will still crash the software, but I will try it and report back.

Thanks for the Google idea... That an obvious ideas which I clearly didn't about ;)

The screen resolution I used varied. All of them never worked. It went as low as 1024x 900 odd up to what windows was recommending which was 1328 (not sure 100% on screen sizes, but they were around what I posted)

Something I didn't take a picture of was sometimes the singers screen was half blacked out and half graphics.

Cheers
Gary
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

half blacked out sounds like codec conflict to me. is it on mp4 or mp3g that it does that?
djgaryc

Post by djgaryc »

To be honest I only tried MP3+G and MP3+G Zip. Both had the issue. I tried changing the video rendering from 9 to 7 and the other versions available 9n the settings of SKP
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

codec packs installed?
djgaryc

Post by djgaryc »

Everything is standard on the system. Only thing installed which isn't standard install is SKP, Karaoke Manager and Song Book generator.

No non standard codec that I'm aware
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

djgaryc go to settings ---> display
On the display screen set your video rendering (1st line way on the right hand side) to Standard rendering

Restart KP and see if this will clear up your half black screen problem
djgaryc

Post by djgaryc »

Hi Hornet59

I did as you suggested, restarted the software and it wouldn't load! - I've had it with this machine. I had to restart the machine to get SKP to load again.

Task manger showed nil apps but disk at 100%

Anyway, when it did load, it never work (See picture)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs2ufx9t2ve58 ... 8.jpg?dl=0

Weirdly, I did get a full screen on the external display while I was taking the rotation box and top player over to the external display so I could use that and let the punters use my laptop screen as the singers screen. If I put the rotation screen half in the external screen and press F for the full screen, it comes up in full screen and works fine... That's how it is running now.

Still having searching issues when trying to add singers as this 30 second or so video shows
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfv6pmzc4c5v7 ... 1.mp4?dl=0

The software team are aware as they asked for a log to help. They had this Thursday morning so hopefully Tuesday I will have a reply with an idea on how to fix this issue leaving me to get on to PC World about the speed issues considering this hyper drive is meant to be quicker than normal HHD!

Thanks for everyone's help so far

Gary
Dana48457

Post by Dana48457 »

I don't have an answer for you but I always had issues with their search. I have been using Search Everything a free program and searches faster than I can type then I just drag the songs over to Power Karaoke.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

djgaryc did you try resetting KP to default? Run this script and it will reset KP to the default setting so you will have to reenter your personal setting back into KP

http://www.powerkaraoke.com/download/si ... efault.reg

A lot of times resetting KP to default will clear up problems that you encounter
djgaryc

Post by djgaryc »

I will try this later. I have not done this because it was a brand new install / brand new laptop a week ago and I had these issues from the off.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

djgaryc did you get your problem fixed? If the reset to default did not work try reinstalling your codecs. You haven't said anything since Aug 31 so no one knows if you're good to go
djgaryc

Post by djgaryc »

Hi Hornet

I'm still waiting for Power Karaoke team to get back to me after analysing my log results. As of 3rd September there wasn't any results yet.

I have found a work around, and it's by tricking the software into thinking it's working from 1 display.

I move the rotation display part of the software over to the external display leaving just enough for me to grab the box with the mouse. While the rotation is over on the external side of the display, I press "F" for full display and the singers screen goes full screen on the external display but most importantly, shows all the graphics... unlike when the rotation screen is on the laptop display and I press the "F" button (as you can see from previous pictures)

I don't know if an official fix will be found.

I will do the codec and other resets, but I'm worried that at the moment, I have a work around. Doing resets worries me that I'll loose that option!
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Hey djgaryc did you get any response from support as far as your problem with your external monitor going full screen but only covering a portion of the screen? Looks like I'm experiencing the same problem and it has started for a bit now. I sent support screen shots of my singer's screen yesterday and I hope they can fix the problem. Hopefully I'll be able to update all of you soon.

Help me Piotr/Adam you're my only hope