Compatibility issue with an anti-copy software

This is the place for general discussion about our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

B-Side

Compatibility issue with an anti-copy software

Post by B-Side »

I didn't know where to post this.

I didn't realize it when I started using Siglos on mine and my partners laptops, but we encrypt and use an Anti-Copy software protect our drives from being copied on our employee's laptops. There's a few settings to prevent copying, such as a system wide Anti-Copy, just the karaoke drive, specific file types..etc. However activating any of them will prevent SKP from opening. Task Manager will see SKP, but nothing will show on screen.

Hopefully I can get some help here because protecting our investment is very important to us. Is the software trying to use a copy or paste feature when it loads?

Edit: I have looked into another software that seems to just prevent pasting and using the 'del' button. I'm ok with combining these options for now, as the other software still prevents drag and drop and cmd access, but it's less than ideal cause it's 2 programs.
adam

Re: Compatibility issue with an anti-copy software

Post by adam »

Does the program work when your protection software is disabled?
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

There's different options in the software like anti-delete as well. The only issue is when the anti-copy portion is enabled for anything. While that setting is disabled, Siglos runs.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

The software is called M File Anti-Copy 5.5. If you would like me to send you the setup file to see if that helps you figure out why it's only this software, I can email it to you.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

the anti copy software is the issue here, to play the song it has to be copied to a temp folder as it unzips. that copy is prevented by the software. i have been looking for some software for the same reason as you and unfortunately the way media players work makes it not possible as of right now.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

I tried to install this software (using the download from the developer's site), but it did not work on any of my test machines (Windows 11, 10, and 7). My guess is that it prevents access to one of the folders that Siglos uses. If you are able to add exceptions to the copy-protected folders, add Documents/My Karaoke to them and see if it helps.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

I haven't found an exceptions rule in it unfortunately. But even if I restrict only the external drive from being copied, it doesn't want to load.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

B-Side wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:52 pm I haven't found an exceptions rule in it unfortunately. But even if I restrict only the external drive from being copied, it doesn't want to load.
the software is making a copy of the file from the external to a temp file which is not allowed.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:06 am
B-Side wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:52 pm I haven't found an exceptions rule in it unfortunately. But even if I restrict only the external drive from being copied, it doesn't want to load.
the software is making a copy of the file from the external to a temp file which is not allowed.
I'm not sure you understood what is happening. The initial "updating database" screen doesn't show up for the Siglos to run. Task manager shows Siglos, but no windows appear at all. So I'm not sure which file would be trying to get copied. I found another software that disables just copy and paste, and Siglos runs fine with that enabled. I prefer M File Anti-Copy because it blocks drag and drop features and file deletion as well, which while I can enable those, I can't enable the basic anti copy portion of the software which defeats the purpose. I get the same results I need running both software, but that's one more software I have to load into my laptops.

I tried installing M File on my win 10 machine to see if I could replicate the problem, but I ran into an issue installing it. I'll try again tomorrow.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:15 am the anti copy software is the issue here, to play the song it has to be copied to a temp folder as it unzips. that copy is prevented by the software. i have been looking for some software for the same reason as you and unfortunately the way media players work makes it not possible as of right now.
I didn't notice you responded with this one first. I had no problem with my other software that I knew for sure extracted the zip files to a temp folder. But again, Siglos isn't starting at all.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

So I'm scrapping that software as a solution and using a portable folder encryption software instead. Thankfully Siglos can still access the folder and load the tracks as of it's not encrypted, but my employees would need a password to access anything inside. This is honestly a better solution in the long run so I'm not locking all copy and paste abilities.

Update: Couldn't get the database to update on the show computer. It shows that it found the modified tracks, but also that they're all missing and won't play. Looking into more solutions.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

It looks like it's a Windows 7 issue with each software. Not excited to use windows 10 on our show laptops cause of their auto update features, but I don't see another solution.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

It still is possible to disable most of the updates on W10, you should be OK. I like W10 better than W7.
B-Side

Post by B-Side »

I googled how to disable to updates, but I've seen several comments that windows overrides those tweaks. Since I'm sure they're gonna focus more on W11 now, there will be less major updates for W10.