Adding song from YouTube without downloading

This is the place for general discussion about our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

assassin32

Adding song from YouTube without downloading

Post by assassin32 »

I seem to be having issues with this function. I have repeatedly attempted to use this feature, and have never been successful.

Lo and behold, I have had 1 success recently, but haven't been able to duplicate that feat. Is there some sort of buried setting that I need to toggle?
I have screenshots, and I will forward those to support.
adam

Re: Adding song from YouTube without downloading

Post by adam »

Please download and install the latest release of the program.
assassin32

Post by assassin32 »

I have installed the latest version. Still seem to be having trouble. I have skimmed the forum, and the Help. There really is not much info about this feature, or how one goes about accomplishing what I am try to do.

I do have the 'Add link to the song database' option checked in the YouTube/Details screen. If I choose the Select button, nothing seems to happen, other than the Details pop up closes. No link seen in the database.

If I utilize the drop down menu from the player [Tools>Play from YouTube...] option, I see the options at the bottom.
'Play' does indeed play the song, with no way to add a Singer to the track.
'Add to the playlist' does add it to the playlist, but again, no option to attach/add a singer to the track from the Playlist window.
'Download for later' did not appear to download the file, as I did not see it in the database.

Not sure how these features work, or what the are supposed to do. My intuitions have been mostly wrong.

Help.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

It adds the song to the database, so if you search the database it will be there in the future (songs from YouTube have YT format). It does not do that for the very song you are adding, you still will have 'YouTube' mode selected. I agree it is counterintuitive and will fix that.
assassin32

Post by assassin32 »

From the Song Database screen, I can sort by File name (path name). When i sort by descending value, I have 1 record visible that shows "youtube:ItsLS54M3X4.YT" as the 1st entry. I assume that if I had more links saved successfully, this is where Id see them, grouped near that value. I see that the program shorthands the 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItsLS54M3X4' hyperlink value.

I'd still like to understand how I have the one record visible and no others saved.

IF I download a video for future use, is that 'v=...' value kept in the application database, or is that value dumped? I am assuming that it is dumped if a local path (hard drive) exists? For some reason, Id like to be able to see and keep both file values, if a link AND a local path exist is for the same video track. I'd like to be able to toggle and filter between those.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

If you download a video it is treated as a regular MP4 file, there is no information that it came from YouTube.

For searching you may use Advanced Search and enter YT in file format.
assassin32

Post by assassin32 »

I believe that link information is valuable in a HDD/disk failure scenario. If my drive fails I can easily recall/reference the source file from my database and re-import, instead of having to search for it as if it was new. if a track is uploaded to YT, and upgraded/replaced/removed, it would be great to edit the link info.

Regardless, I'd still like to know the correct procedure for saving a URL, and having it display in my database.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

Please us this version, it should work more consistently:

https://www.powerkaraoke.com/download/2 ... -setup.exe

YouTube songs are identified by ID (it is 8-10 character string), you do not need full URL link, as it may change, while song ID is constant. These IDs are stored in the database, so if you re-import it, everything should be fine.

And as of how YouTube songs should be added to the database -- if you exit YouTube search window using Select button and 'Add to the database' checkbox is selected, Siglos will add a song to the database and will automatically select is as a database entry. There is nothing more that needs to be done. Or maybe I am missing some scenarios you are using?
assassin32

Post by assassin32 »

i downloaded the latest release, and the feature is working as expected.

Thanks for the attention.
assassin32

Post by assassin32 »

This is more of a feature request, but felt the context here was needed.

would it be possible to hyperlink the values in the File field, in the Song Database screen, so it opens the same link in the YouTube Details... sub menu? Your filter/argument would be youtube:....... as a condition to get that action performed. Basically convenience of adding the file to your HD, as opposed to pointing it to YouTube.

i am talking out of my butt, but i hope it makes sense.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

I will add this to the list and we will think on how to do it so it works best. Thanks for suggestion!