New computer will not keep songs

This is the place for general discussion about our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

tryingcake

New computer will not keep songs

Post by tryingcake »

Brand new Dell computer. Not a cheap one.

I import songs. Test it. Life appears to be good.

I get to the gig, start up the system and "song cannot be found on a hard drive." or something to that effect, which starts a long night of hunting and pecking at the gig. I pull it off, the customers are none the wiser. Except that it is impossible to change songs on the fly. Lots of downtime when that happens. We won't even mention the stress it causes me.

Before you ask:

Yes, I am making sure the drive matches and is always the same. Yes, I am plugging it into the exact same port each time.

I have gone through this three times now. I'm sure I am missing a setting somewhere. It has to be user-error. But what? Another night of this and I will lose my mind. IN addition, since this is what is happening - no singer history. But right now, I'd be thrilled if the system would just maintain the mapping.

Any ideas or thoughts?
adam

Re: New computer will not keep songs

Post by adam »

Is it possible to add such song using "Add file" option in Add Singer dialog box?
tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

adam wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 pm Is it possible to add such song using "Add file" option in Add Singer dialog box?
Unless I did something wrong, that did not work. But what could be happening that it is not mapping to the hard drive to begin with?
adam

Post by adam »

Could you please be more specific? Was there any error message?
tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

adam wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:32 pm Could you please be more specific? Was there any error message?
No, there's nothing more to add. I click a person's name. I type in the name of a song. The error message tells me it cannot be found on any hard drive, as though it is not attached. End of story. But of course, the harddrive is plugged in and working just fine.
adam

Post by adam »

I was referring to "Add file" option, and not "Add song from database" option. The first requires browsing for the song on a hard drive.
tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

adam wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 pm I was referring to "Add file" option, and not "Add song from database" option. The first requires browsing for the song on a hard drive.

Yes, as I said, I tried that and NOTHING. It will not find the song. Or if it does, it takes 4-5 minutes. Not acceptable in this day and age.

Right now, the only thing that works is to import the entire database before each gig. Do NOT let the computer shut off. Run my gig with no singer history (that's real fun when they are yelling at me that so-and-so has a singer history, and do the same thing for the next gig. It's an all-day event every time I have a gig. I have to re-import and start over with each-and-every gig. It's wearing me down.

And now as I'm doing my import for tonight's gig - it ran for 1.5 hours and said it was complete, but nothing is there. Not one song. This is a new issue. I'm so confused as to why this is happening.
tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

Update. It seems to not be reading the database log. Yes, I made sure the database file location is always the same. I make sure the hard drive letter is always the same. I just don't know what to do.
tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

Adam,

I feel like I must be missing a step in setting up the new system. Is there a tutorial for buying a new computer and setting up using the old database? I can't find it if there is. Thanks! This won't fix everything becoming detached every day. But at least I can bring up singers' history every time I have to re-import.

Thanks!
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Is your database file located in the exact place listed in the KJ adv settings under General Database file location? It must match exactly.
adam

Post by adam »

tryingcake wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:32 pm
adam wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 pm I was referring to "Add file" option, and not "Add song from database" option. The first requires browsing for the song on a hard drive.

Yes, as I said, I tried that and NOTHING. It will not find the song. Or if it does, it takes 4-5 minutes. Not acceptable in this day and age.

Right now, the only thing that works is to import the entire database before each gig. Do NOT let the computer shut off. Run my gig with no singer history (that's real fun when they are yelling at me that so-and-so has a singer history, and do the same thing for the next gig. It's an all-day event every time I have a gig. I have to re-import and start over with each-and-every gig. It's wearing me down.

And now as I'm doing my import for tonight's gig - it ran for 1.5 hours and said it was complete, but nothing is there. Not one song. This is a new issue. I'm so confused as to why this is happening.
What exactly do you mean by "NOTHING"? Where you able to access the song location on your hard drive with "Add file" option? You need to click "Browse" button in Add File dialog box, and then browse to the folder where the file is supposed to be.

Did you try to use "Tools -> Validate Songs" command in Song Database dialog box?