CDG2AVI

Get help with the bugs you encounter in our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

jchen

CDG2AVI

Post by jchen »

I am having problems with CDG2AVI in batch mode. It works fine if I only do 2 or 3 at a time, but if I try and do more than that every file turns out to be 4.1 gig. I am wanting fully uncompressed AVI files, but that's a little too uncompressed. :)

When working properly, it works great. It would be nice if we could do a batch of more than 3 files at a time though. Any tips to get us there?
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

I will see what might be the problem -- are you sure the files are OK and they convert properly in a single file mode?
jchen

Post by jchen »

Actually, they do convert OK in single file mode. But in batch mode, I can do 2 or 3 tops. any more than 3 or so, and it makes each file 4+ gig and are unreadable.
jchen

Post by jchen »

Correction:
It USUALLY converts ok in single file mode, but then at other times does the 4+ gig thing. There has been no consistancy with what effects it.
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

I will give it a closer look -- will post back in couple of days if I find a problem.
jchen

Post by jchen »

is there anything in the meantime that we can do?

When it works, it works great, but when it doesn't it just creates 4.1 gig AVI files (which I think is the file size limit for the OS).
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

Have you tried any other compression settings? Does it give you the same problems?
jchen

Post by jchen »

We only have this problem with uncompress AVI's, but that all we need from it. Unless, of course, you can add detailed WMV compression.
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

I have tried to reproduce the problem and cannot -- entire batch of files convert properly. Are you converting BIN or CDG/MP3 files? Have you tried updating your DirectX?
jchen

Post by jchen »

we are converting bin(cdg)+wav to avi.
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

Have you tried updating DirectX? Did it help? You may try using DivX compression as a workaround -- the quality should not suffer.
jchen

Post by jchen »

I did update DirectX, and it's still the same issue. I have tried installing it on a few of our PC's, and one of them does it right about half of the time. Once it starts making the files properly, it will work correctly until you run ANYTHING else. I took a screenshot of it making the 4.1gig files, and can send it to you if would like to see. We are converting mp3 & cdg files to uncompressed AVI, 30 fps, 640x461.

I started using mp3 instead of wav, hoping that might solve things, but it didn't. :cry:
jchen

"solution"

Post by jchen »

We have found a "solution" to the problem. :)

Here's why I say "Solution":

When we need to use the CDG2AVI program, we first have to power off that PC for at least 10 minutes. Just a few won't do it. That and you cannot press either of the A/V setting buttons. Since both are defaulted to exactly what we need, that's fine. I hope that hearing this can provide you with at least a clue to solve the problem.

I know this sounds like complete snake oil, but I have been through this literally dozens of times, and doing it this way is the only way. :?:
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

I am sorry -- I have tried to reproduce the problem and cannot find any reason for this strange behaviour... But if you finally managed to get things done like you need them I feel somewhat releaved. And thank you for sharing the way out.