siglos karaoke pro 2.020 windows 8 expreriences information

This is the place for general discussion about our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

jhakala1963

siglos karaoke pro 2.020 windows 8 expreriences information

Post by jhakala1963 »

Here is my experiences with a new windows 8 laptop after running SKP on a windows vista. The old computer was easier to setup because it had s-video outs. The new computer has vga or hdmi out only. I had to buy an hdmi to rca converter to use monitors at the bar for lyrics display. I use three external monitors at one venue using an rf modulator which converts composite video to channel 3. When I did the transfer, I set up the new computer with the same drive letters as the old one through disk management shrinking and new volume tools. I copied the karaoke music to the same drive letter as the old comp. I installed SKP 2.017 on new comp then copied the siglos.db file to the new comp.
For some reason 2.017 stripped out the venues where people sang at so when I did an add singer from history, the venue wasn't tied to the people.
I can save you guys a lot of time by saying, install k-lite codecs directly from the website, mine is version 10. Set the external display to 60 hz in advanced display settings so you can get the whole picture windowed a little smaller so it won't chop off the scrolling display. Also the k-lite codec helps with lockup and display problems when trying to display videos or youtube. I am running 2.020 now with no problems. Another plus for hdmi to rca converter is that the audio comes out of that box too, one less connector to your laptop.
I hope I didn't forget something, my memory isn't what it used to be.
jer
jhakala1963

modifying displayed text

Post by jhakala1963 »

One thing I forgot to mention. I was getting out of memory errors with SKP 2.017. The cause was when the cdg display text shading was on, it would keep slowly eating memory til it ran out. It doesn't seem to do it in 2.020 but haven't tried it at a show yet. It would take an hour to eat the memory up so I will try it again soon.
jer
jhakala1963

don't use cdg text enhancements

Post by jhakala1963 »

When I have cdg text enhancements on it will lock up the software still on my system. No big deal, I leave them off so it will run smooth all night. Thought some people would like to know.
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

What are the specs of your computer?
jhakala1963

specs

Post by jhakala1963 »

new acer 6gb ram. touchscreen. windows 8 64bit. using a viewhd vhd-mh2a hdmi to composite converter. I3 3227 cpu. intel graphics. Aspire V5-571P is the model if you want to look it up. That cdg graphics thing i was noticing on my desktop at home too which is a quad core 6gb ati graphics card, vista 64.
I could have resource monitor up and the memory kept going up on siglos as long as the shading and smart screen rez was on.
I haven't tried 2.021 yet, I am running 2.020 right now on the laptop. the shading thing was going on with 2.019 at home and 2.020 on my laptop if my memory serves me right.
It runs great with it off so I don't care that much, just passing info on so you can check it out or have people try shutting it off if they have lockup problems.
jer
Jonesmillerboy

Win 8 venue issue

Post by Jonesmillerboy »

You touched on an issue I have that nobody has responded to. In Win 8, I can not get the venue Feature to work either. I can assign venues to singers but when I return to the venue, the "show singers from this venue" filter won't display anything. I can see them when I show all singers. Is this the problem you had, and did you resolve it? You didn't specify if your actions fixed this issue or not. Does anyone use this feature? Is it supposed to work? Or is this a Win 8 prob?
Piotr
Admin

Post by Piotr »

Please try version 2.0.22 and see if the issue persists.
Jonesmillerboy

Post by Jonesmillerboy »

Should the upgrade also work on XP? I uninstalled the program and reinstalled latest version, but all singers are showing up with the old venue name next to it in brackets (a venue that I deleted before the uninstall.) So this info is in a file somewhere. Also, in Win 8 the venue name does not show up in brackets but the venue filter works. Here is how all my singers show up in the rotation and in the singer history lists in the XP version: Singername {V:Oliver's} with Oliver's being the venue name that does not exist anymore. It assigns this to ALL venues now. Does this make sense? Have you seen this before? Is there an offending dat file in there somewhere? Thanks.
jhakala1963

venue name

Post by jhakala1963 »

I have had problems with the venue name thing in windows 8. If I select any venue and put a new person in, it puts them in a default venue no matter what is showing. I haven't really worked on it much since a lot of my singers bounce between them so I have just been working with the way it is. I should look into it this week and see what else I can find, I will try the new version first and let you know.
jhakala1963

new version

Post by jhakala1963 »

The new version...2.023 is doing the same thing on venue names. I may try reseting the database and see what happens. I have a computer I use at home for testing purposes so I do not disturb my money maker. :P
jhakala1963

default venue

Post by jhakala1963 »

I have an answer to the default venue. You have to go into registry editor of windows and look for a key called HiddenVenueName and erase the data in that. That takes off any future additions in your add singer database. I am going to do this in my money maker machine tonight and I will let you know what happens.. It worked in my test machine at home. Btw. My test machine is vista 64 and my money machine is win 8 and I already made sure the reg edit thing works in 8 too.
jer
jhakala1963

regedit location

Post by jhakala1963 »

Here is the actual location in windows registry for the default venue name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Doblon\Siglos Karaoke Professional\KJSettings HiddenVenueName in there should be what your default shows up as, just erase the data by rightclicking the HiddenVenueName and modify and backspace on Value Data window.
Hope this helps,
jer
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

i have just noticed the same thing in Windows 7.
i do not use the venue feature (different user logins to keep announcement screens customized per venue etc) and even after turning off venue support it adds a venue name to the singer.
jhakala1963

Post by jhakala1963 »

I figured it was in there because it was doing it to me even after erasing the database. It's something to look at for the next update.